Monday, May 11, 2009

BJ’s: the source for loads so big, it’s hard to swallow

Always in the mood for BJs

Whenever I find myself with some time to kill, whether (weather?) it be a rainy evening, or a fun day Sunday, my go-to easiest, most satisfying, green option is always the same: BJ’s.
Hold on though (perv)-- before your questionable thought process goes down (no pun intended) the that's-what-she-said path (it's a slippery slope, I know), I'm not talking about Bill Clinton’s favorite past-time. Instead, when I say whole-heartedly that I LOVE BJ’s, I am referring to the bulk warehouse wonderstore that is BJ's Wholesale.

If you have not heard of BJ's, perhaps you've heard of Costco? If you have not heard of either, perhaps you have been living under a rock? BJ's and Costco are stores that, for a low yearly membership fee, sell bulk amounts of your favorite every day necessities. Basically, and I am not exaggerating—if you can think it, they probably sell it; in bulk, and cheap. (Prescription druges, fresh and frozen foods, DVDs, cards, pet supplies, electronics, Fendi purses, engagement rings... you name it.) Think CVS meets Superfresh meets Best Buy meets eBay, supersized and with an order of fries. That's BJ's.

BJs? That’s my favorite!
BJ's has been a wonder to me ever since my first trip there about four years ago. I was just a young, impressionable twenty year old, and the large warehouse seemed like some sort of playground with its vast aisles stacked to the soaring ceiling with oversized items.

BJs Expert
During my most recent trip, I stocked up on a two month's supply of toothpaste, deodorant (even though I naturally smell like roses), face soap, razor blades, kitty litter and kitty food (hey, times are rough), cereal, frozen vegetables and chicken, and a handful of delicious perishable foods including peppers, spinach, milk, deli meats and sushi. (I even found three simple white tank tops for $10!) With my over-sized shopping cart all but over-flowing with newly bought goodies, the total on my receipt came to a cool $90. I love things that are great, I love things that are buys, and this is one reason I love BJ's; as it combines two of my most favorite things with innumerable great buys.

Get a load of from BJ’s
Buying your usual household necessities at stores like BJ’s has many redeeming green qualities. For starters, stocking up on the things you need saves you numerous trips to the store, which will add up to a lot of conserved gas and time. And, since you know there are certain things you'll always need -- laundry detergent, shampoo and conditioner, paper towels, lotion, you get the drift-- you can't really have too much of these things around since they don't tend to go bad. In one trip to BJ's you can buy a bottle of shampoo big enough for Paul Bunyon (and his Babe, too) that will last throughout the sweaty lumberjacking summer months!
Another way BJ's shows their green side is by disposing of the idea of using plastic bags. (Just think of how wasteful it would be to bag each oversized item in an equally oversized plastic bag!) They simply load up your cart without the earth un-friendly plastic bags and send you on your merry (fully stocked) way.

BJ's has been making even more efforts to be eco-friendly and energy efficient. You might ask, "what about all the cardboard from the packaging, and all the cardboard they use to box the products in the warehouse?" They recycle it! BJ's website explains how the company recycles a huge portion of the cardboard used in the warehouse, along with reducing the lighting in the warehouse up to as much as 50% in the summer, and they are even switching to LED lights in some areas of the stores. The company is even tapping into natural energy by installing solar panels on the roofs of some of their warehouses and using skylights to decrease the need for in-store lighting.

Are you as in love with BJ's as I am, yet?!
I mean, who doesn't like getting more for less? While saving money and gas? Not to mention that shopping is always fun, and, if you're like me and don't mind letting loose sometimes, careening down aisles of economy-sized products with both feet on your shopping cart is an added bonus. (Weeee!)

So anyway, now you know why I love BJs so much. If you get a chance, please feel free to share with my neighbors? (They always give me funny looks when I’m done screaming this sentiment off the rooftop of my building after a particularly successful shopping trip. Right, like I’m the weird one?)

No comments:

Post a Comment