Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thirsting for more?

Reusable water bottles have become quite the trendy accessory.

Although I have thus far been quite satisfied using my huge Wawa plastic bottles over and over again until they all but disintegrate in my mouth, it has recently been brought to my attention that this might not be the best route to go. Be damned all of you conspiracy seekers, (I’m not partial, and am including all those that think chemicals are leeching into my water from the plastic, and those that try relaying scare tactics about mold growing in my H20, etc.) my new open-mindedness to drinking-bottle alternatives comes from several unlikely sources and not from anyones nay-saying. Instead, the credit for breaking through my Wawa stubborness belongs to OK! magazine, coupled with copious amounts of online shopping.

It seems that the overall awesomeness of Siggs aluminum bottles can be neither denied, nor ignored. I have read about these bottles time, and time again. It seems we were meant to be together… and who am I to deny destiny?

I have seen them on the most random internet sites ever, and can’t help but notice their plentiful mentions in magazine genres of all kinds. (Wowza, Siggs PR team deserves a raise!) Apparently their absolute market infiltration is working, because— lo and behold—none other than Siggs aluminum bottles popped into my brain today after I noticed the sad state of my trusty old Wawa bottle...

Originally purchased in late December 2008, it has certainly fulfilled its thirst quenching duties. Over the past six months, we have experienced a lot together; and hitting the bottle has gotten me through a lot of tough times, and I've come to rely on its constant “half full” mentality. However, I can’t help but notice that its once proud and crisp blue label is now starting to peel off, and like skin on bones, the label is all wrinkled up against the plastic ridges of the bottle beneath. The sides of the bottle bend inward at my slightest touch, and the mouth-opening has layer upon layer of sparkley Chapstick build-up. Always standing tall and resolute, day after day, on my desk, it has never left me high and dry—and yet, deep down I know it’s time to give this poor bottle a break, and send it to be reincarnated at the big recycling factory in the sky.

I was sadly dwelling upon my Wawa bottle (I feel like the “sad” can be applied in numerous ways?), that I started to consider perhaps investing in a more permanent, hardy type of water bottle — because, even if I only buy 2 plastic water bottles a year, that is 2 empty water bottles that could have been prevented. Then, like the good girl that I am, I started to wonder, WWJD? Literally. Except, I’m Jewish, so my “wwjd” was “what would Jake Gyllenhaal do” in a situation like this? Super weird, I know, and yet for some reason his face is linked in my brain to Siggs bottles?

So, bored at work per usual, I decided to do a little Siggs research and was intrigued by my findings. Which is obviously why you’re reading about it now.

Once upon a time, in the year 1908, a Swedish entrepreneur named Ferdinand Sigg decided that aluminum was the "material of the future". Completely committed to the success of his favored metal, he started making all sorts of household materials with it; pots, pans, bottles, you name it-- he tried it in aluminum. His fellow Swedes dug the aluminum, and his aluminum company grew by leaps and bounds. To this day, the name "Siggs" is still famous in Europe.

A few years ago, some investors bought the company and changed the direction of it, now focusing solely on the bottle design, and trying to infiltrate the brand into the United States.

The benefits of aluminum drinking bottles hopefully made this an easier venture than naught, as apparently using aluminum for drinking bottles has every advantage you’d want. The material is extremely resistant to mold and bacteria, and is non-porous so that nothing you ever have in the bottle will affect the flavor the next thing you have in there. Siggs bottles exceed the FDA’s regulations on chemical leaching with 0.0% leaching occurring, and the insides of the bottle are baked in a way so that they will never chip or break into your drink. For added street creds on top of everything else, Siggs bottles are also considered the “world’s toughest water bottle” by Backpacker magazine. They hold 1 Liter of water, and cost approximately $25, which is not bad on either count. As mentioned, they are very durable, and in order to keep them clean you can wash them out with soap and hot water, or if you’re the OCD type that needs to disinfect every nook and cranny-- there are cleaning brushes available. All is well that ends well, and a happy ending is ensured with Siggs too, as they are 100% recyclable should ever decide you don’t want an awesome water bottle on hand.

And, I saved the best part for last. The reason that so many trendy LA and New York celebs and hipsters tote these bottles around is not only because they want the world to see how “green” and trendy they are, but also because they are superly cute! Aside from solid colors and geometric patterns, they have famous brands, like Airwalk, Hello Kitty, Sponge Bob, etc., come in and do their thang all over a bunch of bottles. There are bottles decorated in yoga inspired designs, Anthropologie looking vintage designs, hippie tye-dyes, and really, something for every aesthetic taste.

The designs of these bottles are not just geared towards chicks either, dudes dig them too—and both GQ and Stuff magazine have given them shout-outs before. (I’m sure it doesn’t hurt their popularity amongst the gents that they offer a selection of flasks as well.)

Now my problem is, which design do I like the best?? And, do you want to come to the memorial service I will be having for my ever faithful Wawa Bottle? (Please circle yes or no, and rsvp asap, recyclables go out Friday morning.)


Yes No Maybe

No comments:

Post a Comment