Friday, August 7, 2009

Forrest to forests: Robin Wright Penn the Eco Mom

Loved her in Forrest Gump, and knew that was having lots of dramatic ish with hubby Sean Penn, but other than that... Robin Wright Penn was mostly off my radar. Until... I saw her smiling face in the pages of my new In Style magazine (my reading matter of choice, en route to Punta Cana). She smirked at me from her corner perch, and justifiably so—as she was the host of the soiree that page was dedicated to.



The event was featured on one of those fun party pages, with lots of pictures and quotes courtesy of the highest-profile celebs in attendance. Most likely I would have stopped and read this page regardless of what the event was about or whose face was at the top of the page, but the headline “Eco Mom Alliance charity event…” especially caught my eye.


At that point I wasn’t quite sure what an “eco mom” was (although I could make some educated guesses), but I was proud to see that Jenn-ay was so involved. (Or, at least involved enough to let the organization publicize that “she” was “hosting.”) Luckily for me, In Style magazine had a preemptive star-burst that held the key to all of my questions: “For more information, go to ecomom.com”

The Eco Mom Alliance was created with the idea in mind that throughout history, when a crisis occurred women have never been afraid to step up and do whatever needed to be done in order to protect their family. In light of current environmental issues happening across the world, it was decided that women needed to take collective action NOW in order to provide the best future possible for their immediate families and children everywhere. With her childrens’ future in mind, Robin Wright Penn looked at the current situation in much the same way I do, “I get way too overwhelmed if I focus on the larger global picture. But as a mom, I can do these small things and know I’m doing something positive and protective.” I’m not a mom (yet), but I whole-heartedly agree that making a bunch of little changes can add up, and especially like the idea of wanting to do something instead of feeling helpless and doing nothing.

Through the Eco Mom website, there are different points of interest for all sorts of moms, from coupons for organic products, "green" shopping tips, to charity sites in place to offer help to problems worldwide, and instructional videos where Robin Wright Penn herself demonstrates proper composting methods.

Props to Robin Wright Penn (and her publicist) for riding high through the scandals, maintaining her dignity, and re-emerging with such positivity on to greener pastures...

No comments:

Post a Comment