Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I've got hurt feelings...

I have been feeling guilty enough about my terrible lapse in blogging, but have been trying to soothe myself with rationale—between weddings, traveling, packing, moving, puppies, and jobs, I’ve barely had time to breathe let alone relax to the point where I can think (and write) about the stuff I actually enjoy. So far, this whole month has basically been one big instance of “going through it, to get to it,” or some such clichĂ©, and it's all going by way too fast.

The clincher however, came today when I was talking to my friend Jeff. The conversation went something as follows.


Jeff: So, whats the deal, your blog consists of one entry per month now?

Me: Whatever, one entry per month might be lame, but my blog is still cooler than your blog.

Jeff, after a long pause: Barely.

Ouch...

Jeff doesn’t have a blog.

Even though I knew he was kidding, I let this marinate in my brain for a few moments and let the truth sink in—although depressing, he was kind of right, one new blog entry a month is barely better than nothing at all. My sense of guilt deepened for second... but then all of a sudden I had an epiphany, and realized that I just needed to look at things from a different perspective.

Yes-- my time has been full of all sorts of varied endeavors; weddings, traveling, apartment shopping, moving, packing, puppies, and jobs, but if I re-examine these experiences in the right way, I am sure to discover that these events are ripe with plentiful future subject matter. For instance, I discovered just today that U-Haul includes a $5 “environmental fee” with every truck rental, which goes to counteract the carbon dioxide emissions their vehicles create. Yay U-Haul!
August is gearing up to be almost as hectic as July, but with the right mind-set, I'm hopeful that the environmental aspects, trials & tribulations, and lessons learned from my many adventures will make their way here, so that the next time the topic comes up with Jeff, I can say something like, "So, have you been able to keep up with my prolific postings?" And then it won't hurt my feelings when he responds after a pause, "Barely."

No comments:

Post a Comment