Thursday, September 17, 2009

Pup culture: hand made Halloween costumes


As the temperature gets cooler, and the leaves start to fade yellow, I am cheered on by the prospect of my favorite holiday getting closer and closer… my endless fascination with zombies, vampires, and anything else that goes “bump” in the night, has made the one eve it’s ok to celebrate all things creepy especially cherished. Oh Halloween…

This year I am extra excited, as I now have a four-legged fur baby to costume as well. (Although I do not want a sissy, clothes wearing dog, a Halloween costume will be the one exception to her “no clothes” dress code.) Throwing some devil ears on her would be too easy—although quite fitting. Determined to find the perfect costume for my bratty puppy, I turned to
Etsy.com. Without a doubt I knew that the masses of grass-roots, entrepreneurial spirits that share their wares via Etsy would not let me down. And of course, I was right. Please enjoy the most divine canine costumes that I cherry picked for you. Which one is your favorite??


Big, bad wolf: actually, this is SOOO fitting for my puppy, who if it were up to her, would gobble up EVERYTHING that ever crossed her path. Made by hand, and offered on Etsy, can help your pooch get in touch with their primeval spirit.



Wanna bee: omg, so cute. This would have been perfect for the cuddly lap-dog I thought I was getting…

Called Purple People Eater, but reminds me more of my sparkly "My Little Ponies" from days of yore. So cute!!!


Robin Hood: especially fitting if your dog’s a thief like mine…whether she stole your heart, or your dirty underwear...


Pirate pooch: Arrrrgh! Show some culture, represent Somalia this Halloween with this nifty pirate ensemble.

I will definitely be interested in your feedback, as well as any advice on how once the costume is on her-- to make sure she doesn't eat it? (This being her first Halloween, the concept might be confusing to her, and for all she knows the new outfit is her "treat"?)

2 comments:

  1. i think the big bad wolf would be perfect for your dog kelly!!!!!! sounds cute and seems fitting from what i hear. this article was great! i was disappointed when it was over because i wanted to see more pictures! great job! i always love reading your blog ms. green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you get her dressed up, add her picture to the handmade halloween blog carnival!

    http://thesnailstrail.blogspot.com/2009/09/handmade-halloween-carnival.html

    ReplyDelete